Saturday, August 17, 2013

For this weeks blog I have chosen to write an ekphrastic poem about a piece of art. This weeks piece of art that I will be using is a piece done by my sister, Ashley, in her graphic design class. This is one of several different pieces that she has created throughout her high school career.

 
 
 
"Through My Eyes"
 
 
I look upon a world full of different stories.
I see those who are happy,
energetic, and on the right path.
Well fed people with expensive clothes.
Those same people have families falling apart.
 
I look in the other direction
and I see poverty.
Children living on the streets.
Mothers and fathers working multiple jobs
just to put food on the table.
Those same people have a very close family.
 
I look around the area I live
and see children running and playing.
While at the same time,
just down the street another shooting occurs
taking another life of someone too young.
 
I look around and see the young girl
with the big smile on her face
who looks like she has it all together.
She then goes home and cries because
she doesn't feel good about herself.
 
I see the young boy who isn't as strong or tall
as the rest of the boys around him.
Little do the people bullying him realize
he is going home to an abusive father.
 
I see different people, with different stories.
I see happiness and sadness.
I see healthy children and starving children.
And today I realize how imperfect
the world around me really is.
 
Never judge a book by its cover,
for you have no idea the story that lies behind it.
 
By Kelsey Smucker
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Your poem goes so perfectly with the painting. I feel like with this painting, you could have gone a lot of ways, because eyes do see everything - it was just a matter of what you were going to say that this eye sees. I love that you included people in all walks of life in this, because it made it real, and everyone is able to relate to it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I see there are many artists in your family. The piece of art of your sister is beautiful, and your poem is great! I see how caring you are about the people around you. You really express what our world is all about nowadays. Your poem gives me hope to know that many less-fortunate people do not really go unnoticed by young people like yo; someone that can make a difference in the future of many lives.
    Rocio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your poem educate people. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey, I like that your poem does not mention eyes at all but what your eyes see. The poem relates, yet it could stand on its own without the eye design. Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I was looking for good poems and came across your blog. It is currently May 1, 2019. I read this a thought to myself how is she just seeing this now. Then I saw you wrote this in 2013 6 years ago our world has gotten worse in only 6 years it's hard to miss it now. I'm sure you have gone off to do great this good job and good luck! God bless!

    ReplyDelete