Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Voice by Shel Silverstein

From Shel Silverstien's Book Falling Up, page 38


The Voice by Shel Silverstein


For this week’s assignment, I will be doing a poem explication. I chose to do this poem because I grew up reading poetry by Shel Silverstein. I remember as a child having the books around my house as well as a lot of my relative’s houses. Back then I didn't understand the meaning behind those poems. Today however, I am able to look at them at a much deeper level. I chose The Voice because I am at an important time in my life and I believe that there is no better time than now to listen to your heart to lead you down the right path.

This poem is fairly short and skinny. It is only 8 lines long and each line is no more than 5-8 words.  The poem has both rhyme and meter. The second and fourth line rhyme as well as the sixth and eighth line. The language of this poem is simple. I like this because it allows a variety of age groups to read and understand it. Silverstein starts off right away making the poem personal. He does this by using the word “you”. “There is a voice inside of you” starts out the poem and immediately makes it personal. It made me sit down and think back to all the times when there has been a tough decision I had to make and my heart told me one thing, while my head told me another.

The first four lines of the poem start by providing a very common situation that most people have gone through. It makes the reader think back to times in their life when they have had to decide what was right. The next part of the poem says how there are going to be all sorts of people who try and give you advice on what is the right decision. And the poem ends by encouraging the reader to “listen to the voice that speaks inside”. This gives emphasis that it is important to listen to your inner voice and that no matter what people tell you, you are the only one that can make the decision.

I like this poem a lot because it can be applied to many different situations and to a wide range of people. Although it may be simple and short, it has the ability to speak to a lot of people. All in all, remember no matter what happens and what you are faced with, always base your decisions on what you want to do and what you think is right. Only you can make the right decision for yourself.


8 comments:

  1. You're right, Kelsey. This poem is ageless and timeless. It always applies, no matter what your age. I like how you introduced the poem and why it was meaningful to you. Sometimes short poems with short lines say the most.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this poem several times, too. I've seen it on other blog sites as well. I really like it, and I agree that everyone can relate to the poem. He does a great job making it personal, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsy,
    I like how you illustrate this poem. It is such a small poem, but you give so much detail on your third paragraph that makes me feel like if it was a long poem. It is amazing how so very few words have so much meaning. Your reflection made me relate to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey, this poem actually has both rhyme and meter, so it is not free verse. It's very rhythmic--it alternates the number of stressed syllables from line to line. Can you figure out the pattern? Not all of the lines rhyme, but half of them do--again, what's the pattern here?

    Shel Silverstein is a great example of an artist who creates both words and images. Since you've posted both the poem and the image, can you suggest what aspect of the poem the illustration serves to expand or comment on?

    What is the source of this poem? Do you have permission to post it? Make sure you include source info or a link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up with Shel Silverstein as well, I remember reading this poem and not quite understanding it. But now I do, and its beautiful! I like that it shows that you can be your own person. I also like the shortness of the poem, and it comes out and tells you basically what is trying to be said. Good job!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that you pointed out that the poet makes a connection with the reader by saying "you". It really does make the poem feel more personal, especially if a child is reading it, they may imagine that the book really is speaking to them.

    Austin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann,
    My guess would be that all of the people at the bottom of the picture represent the opinions and advice you get from people around you when you are going through a tough situation and need help making a decision.

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete